Search This Blog

Monday, December 13, 2010

Right now my obsession is crochet.  My first experience with crochet was some 15-20 years ago.  My great grandma was visiting.   I remember us sitting on the couch in the living room, and her teaching me the very basics of crochet.  How to make a slip knot (though I was completely confused), foundation chain, and single crochet stitch.  We made a few rows back and forth, it was about as long as a small blanket i'd guess.  I still have it somewhere around here, and since it's one of the few things I have of hers, I will never throw it away.

I didn't touch crochet again until about 7 years ago.  My boss had told me she was making a blanket for her mother.  When I was house sitting for her I found her book on how to crochet and I went to Walmart to buy some colors I liked.  Even though I had instructions it still wasn't clicking very well for me.  But at any rate I started making an afghan.  I've picked it up a few times over the years but it's still pretty small, another to do project on my growing list of projects.

This past summer I was feeling rather sorry for myself, and looking for things to do to make me feel like a better human, like I could contribute something.  I read about people knitting and crocheting squares, mailing them off, and people turning those into blankets and giving to charity organizations.  Soldiers in the war, babies in poor countries, children with cancel, the homeless.  I thought that sounded like a pretty neat thing to do, making a few squares is far easier than making an entire blanket!  I told my husband about it and he thought that sounded good as well.  He also wanted to learn how to knit so we could both learn our crafts together.

In the past few months I've been trying to learn the basics, and make simple things.  I've made a few cute things so far, and I have plans for afghans and blankets.  I've borrowed a few books from the library, and read a million sites on how to crochet.  I'm finally able to throw together some squares!  Now I just need to find the charity websites again, read their square guidelines (I'll understand them this time!) and get crocheting.

No comments:

Post a Comment